Pages

Friday 4 September 2009

Prices Affect Prices

Happy return to trading today after my time off. Theres always a doubt in my mind that having a few days off I wont be as on the ball as usual. Lacking the edge you get when trading day in day out. Sometimes a break does me good to refresh things, other times I lose my focus a little. Luckily today was the first case with some fantastic swing opportunities. The first few races were awesome if you caught them quickly, as they looked very likely to keep going for a while with nice monentum keeping on pushing them. Plus the layers were out to get Fallon today in which a massive drift developed on the first at Lingfield. £275ish after the first two I could afford to take the foot off the accelerator and ease myself into the day. Couldn't have wished for a better start and just took it easy after that plodding over nicely. It's good to take things a bit slower than normal if you have a good start. Protecting your profits is important as its almost too easy to get carried away with greed. Which in turn eats away at those hard earned pennies.

I have always looked at 3 ladders simultaneously, and I don't use the enhanced ladder. I keep the full-market depth open on all selections so I can easily jump on an opportunity on another horse with ease. Keeping an eye out on all ladders should give you a better understanding of the bigger picture. Although I'm always concentrating on the favourite, I am aware whats developing on the other 2nd and 3rd favourite. However most of the time I'm really mainly seeing how the 2nd fav will react compared to the favourite. Only because on the majority of markets there is 1 clear favourite, and the second favourite is the only selection that could have an instant affect on the favourites price. It gives me a great overview of how prices affect prices, and gives me clearer judgment of which way a price is going. Example if you see the favourite getting backed heavily, then suddenly change in direction. Theres a great chance another horse that is closely related in price is being backed as the market book overround is just levelling itself out.

It's not easy to look at more than one selection at once, but I would reccommend trying it. Just start off by glancing over across the 2nd and 3rd favourite every 30 secs or so. Getting a feel of how the price on 1 horse affects the price on another. Sometimes they don't affect each other at all it seems so be aware. Then develop it so you can flick your eyes over a lot more frequently.

Another advantage of seeing 3 ladders is being able to quickly change and trade on another horse. For instance if the 2nd fav has being backed into favourite and more interest is now on this horse, it might be a good idea trading the newly backed fav. It simply gives you more options and opportunites at your disposal. Plus having an overall view of the market gives you a great view on what is value and what is not.



5 comments:

  1. Hello Jack and thanks for this terrific blog. Please can you say what you do on Saturdays? Have you ever traded them and how did / do you find them? It seems that there is a lot of late money flow and some weird movements and with a race every five minutes it can be very difficult. Any advice for the Saturday markets? Many thanks and best regards, Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jack,love the blog,Any advice for a newbie i would appreciate cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack,

    you talked about a training course on Adams radio show, just wanted to checkup whether there is any update there as I would definitely be interested (probably in the "Bronze" package!) regards Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jack,

    What software do you use for your trading?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony - I trade Saturdays as much as I can. They generally offer the markets an extra boost of liquidity and in turn offer more opportunities. It can be difficult but often one of the most profititable days of the week if you stay focused throughout. My advice would be ease yourself into the day slowly, by trying to build up some profit before the high profile races come up. Bringing you confidence and stopping you feeling the need to chase your losses at any point. Also I tend to stick to the scheduled off time, and don't trade the delayed race as a race is often going off shortly afterwards. Move on as quick as you can so you are in the next market nice and early.

    Anon 1 - Advice for a newbie would be don't try and run before you can walk. Be patient with trading and really try and learn from your mistakes. Give me an email if you want I might be able to help.

    Scott - Great to hear your interested, I've been working hard on my courses and they will be available very shortly. Best thing to do is email me livebetfairtrading@gmail.com for a lot of information you can be thinking about.

    Anon 2 - I currently use BetAngel

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics